In the effort to build a diverse STEM community, Johnson & Johnson‘s (J&J) has launched the WiSTEM2D Scholars Program, an award to support women pursuing research in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, and Design.
J&J limits one application per institution per STEM2D category. The Office of the Vice Provost for Research is coordinating the application selection process for the University. Each school can submit one candidate for each of the STEM2D categories.
Details are below, and applicants are encouraged to review the program guidelines and see a list of the first year scholars- https://www.jnj.com/wistem2d-university-scholars
Award Amount: The Scholars Award is a 3-year award in the gross amount of $150,000, which will be paid to the University (the “Recipient”) for the benefit of the J&J Scholar and her research.
Candidate must be:
- A woman working in the field(s) of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Manufacturing and Design (STEM2D).
- A female assistant professor at the time of application at an accredited academic university, institution or design school.
- Science; MD, PhD
- Technology; PhD
- Engineering; PhD
- Math; MS, PhD
- Manufacturing; PhD
- Design; MA, MS, MDes, MArch, MFA, MLA, PhD
Judges will use the following criteria to evaluate the applications:
- Scientific/technical expertise exhibited
- Novelty/innovation of the research
- Potential impact of the research
- Feasibility of the research
PSOM Selection Process
Each candidate must submit the following:
- Cover page with Name, Academic Rank, Department, Contact information, Date of appointment to the University and STEM2D category of applicant
- A chair/department head letter of recommendation
- 1,000 words (~2 pages), plus one page of images and references, detailing the proposed area of research. (In the header, please note to which category you wish to apply)
- CV (no longer than three pages, font size 11), including a list of publications, presentations, abstracts, current financial support already obtained, other folio work and two references.
Subject line should read: J&J Scholar_ Applicant’s surname_Applicant's first name. For example: J&JScholar_Doe_Jane
Materials must be submitted to Connie Weinstein at clw [at] pennmedicine.upenn.edu by 9:00 AM on Tuesday, Sept 8, 2020.
If you have any questions please contact Connie at clw [at] pennmedicine.upenn.edu.