PSOM Limited Application - Searle Scholars Award
To: School of Medicine Faculty
From: Jon M. Lindstrom, PhD - Chair, PSOM Limited Applications
Re: Searle Scholars Program
Deadline: July 13, 2020
The University has been invited to nominate two candidates for the Searle Scholars Program. The Office of the Vice Provost for Research (OVPR) is managing the final candidate review and selection process; each school within the University may submit the names of up to two candidates.
- Applicants are expected to be pursuing independent research programs in biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology, and related areas in chemistry, medicine, and the biological sciences.
- Candidates should have begun their appointment as an independent investigator at the assistant professor level on or after July 1, 2019. The appointment must be their first tenure-track position.
- The Searle Scholars Program does not ordinarily support purely clinical research but has supported research programs that include both clinical and basic components. Potential applicants who are unsure if their research is appropriate for the Program are encouraged to examine the research interests of present and former Searle Scholars on their website.
- Grants are currently set at $300,000 for a three-year period, with $100,000 payable in the first year and equal sums payable in the second and third years
- Complete program description: https://www.searlescholars.net/competition
- List of previous of current and previous Searle awardees:
PSOM Review Process
Each candidate must submit the following in the order below:
- Cover Page: Candidate name, academic rank, school, department, email address, phone number, and month and year of appointment to the PSOM faculty
- A letter of nomination from their Department Chair or Division Chief
- Research proposal (must include proposal title) no longer than two pages (references not included in the 2 page limit).
- A CV, and current, expired and pending funding with award amounts
- Materials must be submitted in a single pdf file
- Pdf document should be titled as follows: SearleScholar__Applicant’s surname_Applicant’s first name. For Examples: SearleScholar_Doe_John.pdf
- Materials must be submitted to Connie Weinstein at clw [at] pennmedicine.upenn.edu by 9:00 am on Monday, July 13, 2020.
If you have any questions please contact Connie Weinstein at
clw [at] pennmedicine.upenn.edu.