Funding Opportunities Calendar
|Due date/for||Sponsor with information||Purpose|
Additional funding opportunities for January 2019 will be added as the month approaches.
William T. Grant Foundation:
- Improving the Use of Research Evidence "to support research to identify, build, and test strategies to ensure that research evidence is used in ways that benefit youth in the US. We are particularly interested in research on improving the use of research evidence by state and local decision makers." Application due January 9, 2019
- Reducing Inequality "for research to build, test, and increase understanding of approaches to reducing inequality in youth outcomes, especially on the basis of race, ethnicity, economic standing, language minority status, or immigrant origins. We are interested in research on programs, policies, and practices to reduce inequality." Application due Janaury 9, 2019.
CURE (Citizens United for Reseach in Epilepsy) Letter of Intent (LOI) due January 8, 2019.
The International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT) Several grants for faculty at different career stages due January 14, 2019
Friedreich's Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA) Keith Michael Andrus Cardiac Award "to advance our understanding and treatment of cardiomyopathy associated with FA. Letter of Intent (LOI) due January 15, 2019
Whitehall Foundation "assists those dynamic areas of basic biological research that are not heavily supported by federal agencies or other foundations with specialized missions. Currently, the foundation is insterested in studies that aim to better understand behavioral output or brain mechanisms of behavior." Letter of Intent (LOI) due January 15, 2019 (Also Oct 1 and Apr 15 every year)
Bladder Cancer Research Innovation Award for "basic, translational, clinical or epidemiological research that has direct applicability and relevance to bladder cancer." Letter of Intent (LOI) due January 16, 2019
Arthritis National Research Foundation (ANRF) Several topics: Arthritis and Aging, Psoriatic Arthritis, and Ankylosing Spondylitis. Application due January 18, 2019
American Hearth Association (AHA) Transformation Project Award. "Proposed work should be the next logical step of previous work and should already be revealing a high probability of revealing new avenues of investigation, if successful." Application due January 23, 2019
Larry L. Hillblom Foundation supports research on diabetes or aging:
- Network Grant "to facilitate interaction between a network of researchers. It is anticipated that these investigators will be independently funded and have demonstrated productivity in their own field. Letter of Intent (LOI) due January 25, 2019.
- Startup Grant "to initiate independent research careers in diabetes or aging." Application due January 25, 2019.
|Due date/for||Sponsor with information||Purpose|
Additional funding opportunities for February 2019 will be added as the month approaches.
American Cancer Society (ACS) offers "a limited number of grants to mid-career investigators who have made seminal contributions that have changed the direction of basic cancer research." Letter of Intent (LOI) due February 1, 2019
Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation (APSF) Investigator-Initiated Research Grant. Letter of Intent (LOI) due February 1, 2019
Friedreich's Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA) General Research Grant for research on FA "from basic research through drug development and clinical research programs." Letter of Intent (LOI) due February 1, 2019 (and again on July 15, 2019)
Leukemia Research Foundation Hollis Brownstein Grants for New Investigators Letter of intent (LOI) due February 1, 2019
Lupus Research Alliance -- Novel Research Grant. "Emphasis is placed on lupus studies exploring fundamental mechanisms, novel targets and pathways, novel technologies, and interdisciplinary approaches. Early-career investigators are encouraged to apply." Application due February 1, 2019
Lupus Research Alliance -- Target Idenfification in Lupus grant. Letter of Intent (LOI) due February 1, 2019
American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) research grants for investigators at all career stages. Application due February 4, 2019
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Strategic Research Agreement is "a partnership between Investigator(s) and JDRF Scientists to help address roadblocks and accelerate JDRF’s mission through support of cutting-edge scientific investigation of Type I Diabetes." Letter of intent (LOI) due February 4, 2019
Penn Center for Precision Medicine Accelerator Funds "to bring a particular precision medicine approach to clinical care." Due February 7, 2019
National Kidney Foundation (NKF) Young Investigator Grant. Letter of Intent (LOI) due February 8, 2019
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) Health and Climate Solutions "Brief application" due February 8, 2019
Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering "providing early-career scientists and engineers with flexible funding and the freedom to take risks and explore new frontiers in their fields of study." Limited application. Applicants must receive permision from department chair or division chief. Internal CHOP/Penn application due February 11, 2019 Questions: Connie Weinstein
Klarman Family Foundation Eating Disorders Research Grants Program. Application due February 14, 2019
Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation for research on bone marrow failure diseases. Preference given to "New Investigators." Letter of Intent (LOI) due February 15, 2019
Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) Research in Education Grants "advance the careers and knowledge of anesthesiologists interested in improving the concepts, methods and techniques of education in anesthesiology." Application due February 15, 2019
Harry Shwachman Clinical Investigator Award "to support promising physicians with a commitment to cystic fibrosis research to develop into independent biomedical researchers." Application due February 15, 2019
LeRoy Matthews Physician-Scientist Award for "outstanding newly trained pediatricians and internists to enhance clinical proficiency in cystic fibrosis-related sub-specialties and to develop the necessary research capabilities to become independent biomedical investigators." Application due February 15, 2019
PennCHOP Microbiome Program Announces Latest Round of Pilot Grants Applications due February 20, 2019 (See also Summary of CHOP/Penn Pilot Grants, home page of this site)
Emergency Medicine Foundation Various grants for investigators at different career stages. Application deadline February 28, 2019
|Due date/for||Sponsor with information||Purpose|
Additional 2019 due dates will be added as they become available.
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (SCRS) Career Development Grants "to provide young surgeons with the support necessary for the initiation and development of an academic career in colorectal surgery" Application due March 1, 2019.
- American Cancer Society (ACS) Mission Boost Grants "to support select current and past ACS grantees specifically for the translation of their research to human testing." Application due March 1, 2019
- Melanoma Research Foundation: Curing Ocular Melanoma Award, Established Investigator Award, and Career Development Awards Application due March 1, 2019
- (Penn/ITMAT) Junior Investigator Preliminary/Feasibility Grant Program (JIPGP) "to encourage junior investigators to develop research projects that will ultimately lead to extramural funding and to a career in clinical and/or translational research. Application due March 1, 2019
- Cancer Immunotherapy: Scientists TAking Risks (STAR) High-risk, High-reward Projects for Mid-career Scientists Application due March 1, 2019
- The Aneurysm and AVM Foundation Cerebrovascular Research Grant Award Application due March 4, 2019
- IDDRC Institutional (CHOP/Penn) Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Pilot Grant. Questions:Kristen Pidgeon (pidgeonk [at] email.chop.edu) Application due March 11, 2019
- IDDRC Request for Applications: Support for IDDRC Research Project: Support for an independent research project that has not been previously funded. The PI should have demonstrable credentials with regard to scientific accomplishment. Questions: Kristen Pidgeon (pidgeonk [at] email.chop.edu) Applications due Monday, March 11, 2019.
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Awards for Gene Editing for Cystic Fibrosis Several types of awards available. Application due March 12, 2019
- Sontag Foundation Distinguished Scientist Award for Brain Cancer Research Application due March 13, 2019
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Awards for Gene Editing Several grants for investigators at different career stages. All applications due March 12, 2019
- Lupus Research Alliance -- Distinguished Innovator Award Application due March 15, 2019
- Penn Global Engagement Fund "seeds creative, cross-disciplinary projects that will further Penn’s global initiatives." Application due March 15, 2019
- Society for Pediatric Radiology (several awards) Application due March 15, 2019
- University Research Fund (URF) Application due March 16, 2018
- Human Frontiers Science Program "for novel collaborations that bring together scientists preferably from different disciplines (e.g. from chemistry, physics, computer science, engineering) and different continents to focus on problems in the life sciences. Note: HFSPO funds only basic research." Letter of Intent (LOI) due March 18, 2019
- The Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation Research Grants. Application due March 18, 2019
- Neuroendocrine Tumor Research Foundation-AACR Grant Application due March 19, 2019
- McGill's 2019 Louis and Artur Lucian Award for Research in Circulatory Diseases. Application due March 22, 2019
- March of Dimes Basil O'Connor Starter Scholar Research Awards Research priorities: Pre-term birth and birth defects. Pre-proposal due March 25, 2019
- McKnight Foundation Memory and Cognitive Disorders Awards "to address mechanisms of memory or cognition at the synaptic, cellular, molecular, genetic or behavioral level in animals, including humans. Letter of intent (LOI) due March 25, 2019
- NSF Harnessing the Data Revolution (HDR) Big Idea "is a national-scale activity to enable new modes of data-driven discovery that will allow fundamental questions to be asked and answered at the frontiers of science and engineering." Letter of Intent (LOI) due March 25, 2019
- Organization for Autism Research (OAR) Applied Research Competition Prepropsal due March 25, 2019
- CHIBE Connected Health — "to support research teams to do quick turnaround studies focused on improving the management of population-based health within either clinical or non-clinical settings." Application due due March 29, 2019 @ 12PM EST
- CHIBE Improving Enrollment "to develop strategies to increase the efficiency of clinical trial enrollment and retention across a range of different types of interventions". Application due March 29, 2019 @ 12PM EST
- Emergency Medicine Foundation/National Association of EMS Physicians (EMF/NAEMSP) "Advancing Prehospital Care through Research and Innovation" Application due March 30, 2019
- American Society for Hematology (ASH) American Medical Educators Institute For fellows and early-career faculty interested in pursuing careers in medical education. Application due March 31, 2019
Many grants roll around annually at the same time of year. Several of last year's 2018 due dates follow below.
- CHOP Pediatric Center of Excellence in Nephrology Pilot Proposals Application due March 1, 2018
- Penn Orphan Disease Center (ODC) and the Loulou Foundation Pilot Grant Program for CDKL5 Deficiency Disorder (CDD). Letter of intent (LOI) due March 8, 2018 Invited application due April 6, 2018
- Science and PINS Prize for Neuromodulation for junior investigators. Application due March 15 2018
- RWJ Opioid Challenge to develop tech-enabled tools to support and connect individuals affected by opioid addiction Register by March 22, 2018
Additional 2019 due dates will be added as they become available.
- CHOP Center for Clinical Pediatric Effectiveness pilot grant Application due April 1, 2019
- The Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation focuses on "areas in which there are critical gaps in knowledge about desmoid tumors and whose results will speed the development of improved treatments." Application due April 1, 2019
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine Pre-Review April 1, 2019
- Muscular Dystrophy Association(MDA) Clinical Research Grant "MDA’s clinical research program supports the continued development of exciting therapies in the pipeline, moving into testing in humans. This includes human clinical trials testing repurposed drugs and non-drug interventions, as well as clinical research studies that are non-interventional." Application due April 1, 2019
- Muscular Dystrophy Association(MDA) Infrastructure Grant "The main review criterion for this grant is need for the infrastructure to further research for the purpose of therapy development." Application due April 1, 2019
- American Cancer Society Grants:
- Clinician Scientist Development Grant "The Clinician Scientist Development Grant (CSDG) fosters the development of clinicians to clinician scientists. Clinician scientists are investigators licensed to provide patient care and trained to conduct research. They pursue research questions across the cancer research continuum of relevance to improving health" Application due April 1, 2019 (Next round due October 15, 2019)
- Research Scholar Grants "The Research Scholar Grant (RSG) supports investigator-initiated projects across the cancer research continuum." Application due April 1, 2019 (Next round due October 15, 2019)
- Institutional Research Grants "Institutional Research Grants are block grants averaging $120,000 per year for 3 years given to institutions as 'seed money' for the initiation of projects by promising junior investigators.." Application due April 1, 2019
- Physician Training Awards in Cancer Prevention "Awarded to institutions to support physician training in accredited preventive medicine residency programs that provide cancer prevention and control research and practice opportunities" Application due April 1, 2019
- Marfam Foundation Faculty Grant Program "The faculty grant program supports two-year grants for basic or clinical research for all disciplines in Marfan syndrome, Ehlers Danlos syndrome, Loeys Dietz syndrome and other related disorders." Application due April 1, 2019
- Marfam Foundation Clinical Research Program "The Marfan Foundation is requesting proposals for clinical research studies focusing outside of the cardiovascular arena. Proposals can be retrospective or prospective and may utilize data obtained through registries/databases, observational studies, and surveys." Application due April 1, 2019
- Scoliosis Research Society Application due April 1, 2018
- Screening Improvement Program Award "The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has developed the Screening Improvement Program for Optimizing the Diagnosis of Infants Award. The purpose of the award is to catalyze efforts to improve the newborn screening system for early diagnosis of CF." Application due April 2, 2019
- American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine (AACPDM) Clinical Research Grant "to promote excellence in clinical research for the benefit of persons with cerebral palsy and other childhood-onset Application due April 5, 2019
- Penn Office of the Vice Provost for Research two pilot grant programs: Discovering the Future Grant "targeted to creative, novel research with the potential for transformative impact within a given field" and the Accelerating from Lab to Market Grant. "for standing faculty with promising inventions disclosed to Penn Center for Innovation (PCI) and to existing Penn faculty founders of University spinout companies based on Penn-owned intellectual property." Application due April 12, 2019
- Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation: Harrington Scholar Program "The ADDF-Harrington Scholar Program seeks to accelerate translation of innovative research with potential to prevent, treat, or cure Alzheimer's disease." Letter of intent (LOI) due April 12, 2019
- Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation: Alzheimer's Program to Accelerate Clinical Trials. Letter of Intent (LOI) due April 12, 2019
- Angelman Syndrome Foundation Research Program "to pilot projects to test new ideas about pathogenesis and therapeutics of Angelman syndrome, translational research and clinical research studies." Application due April 15, 2019 (also in October every year).
- Cystinosis Research Foundation Grant "The ultimate goal of the Cystinosis Research Foundation is to find better treatments and a cure for cystinosis. Research and fellowship applications must take into consideration the mission and goals of the foundation in order to be considered." Application due April 15, 2019
- Whitehall Foundation "assists those dynamic areas of basic biological research that are not heavily supported by federal agencies or other foundations with specialized missions. Currently, the foundation is insterested in studies that aim to better understand behavioral output or brain mechanisms of behavior." Letter of Intent (LOI) due April 15, 2019 (Also Jan 15 and Oct 1 every year)
- CHOP Foerderer Award "to allow on-going research to move into new and productive areas, or allow investigators to apply new research techniques toward novel investigations. Projects should have the potential to develop preliminary data to support extramural applications. Collaborative projects encouraged." Application due April 18, 2019
- March of Dimes Priority research areas: pregnancy-relaed disorders, genetic and environmentally-induced birth defects, opioid exposure and dependency, and health disparities relating to these areas. Letter of Intent (LOI) due April 19, 2019
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) "Grants for expansion and sustainability of the comprehensive community mental health services for children with serious emotional disturbances" Application due April 19, 2019
- Prostate Cancer Foundation "We especially seek applications conducting research in VA hospitals where research directly affects veterans with advanced prostate cancer." Application due April 22, 2019
- Morton Cure Paralysis Fund Grant "committed to developing effective therapies (cures) for paralysis associated with spinal cord injury and other disorders of the central nervous system." Application due April 30, 2019 (Next round of applications is due October 31, 2019)
- Pardee Foundation "encourages grant applications for a one year period which will allow establishment of capabilities of new cancer researchers, or new cancer approaches by established cancer researchers." Application due April 30, 2019
Listed chronologically by due date
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) junior faculty scholar award Letter of intent (LOI) due May 1, 2019
- Lalor Foundation "The program focuses particularly on young women who have inadequate access to information regarding sexual and reproductive health, including comprehensive and unbiased information on contraception and pregnancy termination." Concept paper due May 1, 2019
- WW Smith Charitable Trust Award for Heart, Cancer and AIDS Research. Only one application in each area accepted from an institution. Contact Phyliss Quail quail [at] email.chop.edu. Internal (CHOP) application due May 1, 2019
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) bridge grant To sustain hematology research for which NIH R01 applications were scored but not funded. Application due May 2, 2019
- Harrington Discovery Institute Scholar-Innovator Award for physician-scientist innovators throughout the U.S. to help "bridge the gap between basic discovery and clinical introduction." Application due May 3, 2019
- Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Bridge Funding "The purpose of Bridge Funding is to allow researchers to produce data needed to substantiate their proposal resubmission to federal funding agencies for a promising new research project." Application due May 5, 2019
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation Career Development Award and Senior Research Award. Letters of Intent (LOI) due May 5, 2019
- Brain Research Foundation Scientific Innovations Award for "innovative science by senior faculty in both basic and clinical neuroscience" Letter of nomination from Department Chair or Division Chief required. Application due to Connie Weinstein at Penn clw [at] pennmedicine.upenn.edu by 9AM on May 7, 2019
- Gerber Foundation for "projects that improve the nutrition, care and development of infants and young children from the first year before birth to three years of age." Concept paper due May 15, 2019
- California HIV/AIDS Research Program Basic Biomedical Science Discovery Initiative "This funding mechanism is designed to fund discrete projects of highly innovative ideas that will yield the preliminary data needed to successfully compete for larger research grants." Letter of intent (LOI) due May 15, 2019
- One Mind/Janssen Rising Star Award for "translational research on neuropsychiatric disorders" Application due May 15, 2019
- Mallinckrodt's Grant Program "for basic research faculty within 1st to 4th year of appointment" (One application accepted from invited institutions.) Application due by 9AM on May 17, 2019
- Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer Research "A Award" "for the early independent career scientist who wants to establish a career in pediatric oncology research." Application due May 20, 2019
- Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer Research "Reach Award" "to fund developmental therapeutic studies in the late stage of preclinical testing." Application due May 20, 2019
- Maturational Human Biology pilot grant (cross-listed in CHOP/Penn pilot grants on this site) for research that is "interdisciplinary and translational in nature and bridges the pediatric to adult divide. All proposals must have at least two Co-Principal Investigators, including at least one from the University of Pennsylvania and at least one from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia." Application due at noon on May 21, 2019
- The Pew-Stewart Scholars Program for Cancer Research and The Pew Scholars Program for Biomedical Research. Applications due to Phyllis Quail in the CHOP Sponsored Projects Office quail [at] email.chop.edu by 5PM on May 24, 2019
- Penn Center for Mental Health and Penn Center for Health Incentives and Behavioral Economics will fund pilot projects through their National Institute of Mental Health ALACRITY (P50) Center, Transforming Mental Health Care Delivery through Behavioral Economics and Implementation Science. Questions: Dr. Rinad Beidas (rbeidas [at] upenn.edu) Applications due May 30, 2019
- Mallinckrodt's Grant Program "for basic research faculty within 1st to 4th year of appointment." Preliminary pplication due to Phyllis Quail quail [at] email.chop.edu by May 31, 2019
- Michael J. Fox Foundation GBA Biology and Therapies "This program seeks proposals for research studying how GBA mutations lead to PD, Mechanisms underlying GCase dysfunction in the absence of GBA mutations, and Novel therapeutic interventions to prevent pathogenic mechanisms triggered by GCase-pathway dysfunction" Pre-proposals due May 31, 2019
- Michael J. Fox Foundation Non-Pharmacological Interventions for Gait and Balance Disturbances "This program seeks proposals for research studying the therapeutic benefit of assistive devices (e.g., back or leg braces), novel technologies (e.g., laser or wearable devices), and rehabilitative therapy programs (e.g., occupational or physical therapy)" Pre-proposals due May 31, 2019
- Michael J. Fox Foundation Alpha-Synuclein Biology and Therapies "for studies on the role of alpha-synuclein and modified forms in health and disease, the relationship between alpha-synuclein structure and physiological functions, and novel therapeutic approaches targeting intracellular alpha-synuclein or related pathways" Pre-proposals due May 31, 2019
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Awards
- Engagement Award: Capacity Building Letter of Intent (LOI) due May 31, 2019
- Engagement Award: Dissemination Initiative Letter of Intent (LOI) due May 31, 2019
- Engagement Award: Conference Support (No LOI required) Application due May 31, 2019
|Due date/for||Link to sponsor with more information||Purpose|
|June 1, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||
"makes targeted investments to support drug development for neuromuscular disease"
|June 1, 2019 / Proposal||When Everyone Survives -- Research Grant (WES Leukemia Research Foundation)||"to solicit innovative research in leukemia"|
|June 3, 2019/ Application||Hartwell Foundation||"to stimulate discovery in early-stage biomedical research that has not qualified for funding from traditional sources and that has the potential to benefit children of the United States."|
|June 3, 2019 / Application||Rheumatology Foundation: R Bridge Funding Award||
"to provide funding to NIH R01, VA Research Career Scientist (RCS) or Merit Award applicants whose application received a priority score but was not funded"
|June 3, 2019 / Application||Society of Critical Care Medicine(SCCM) Grant||"funding for activities that aim to improve care"|
|June 4, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||The Mark Foundation for Cancer Research Emerging Leader Awards||"to provide grant support to early career invertigators conducting high-impact, high-risk cancer research."|
|June 6, 2019 / Preproposal||Bone Marrow Failure Research Program Idea Development Award||"to support innovative ideas and high-impact approaches based on scientifically sound evidence to move toward the BMFRP's vision of understanding and curing BMF diseases"|
|June 7, 2019/ Application||The Children's Heart Foundation: Research in Congenital Heart Defects Award||" to fund life-saving, life-changing CHD research in clinical cardiology, basic science, population science, and advancement of surgical/interventional techniques."|
|June 8, 2019 / LOI||Vasculitis Foundation Research Program||"To improve the quality of life for patients with vasculitis, and ultimately find the cause/s and cure for vasculitis."|
|June 10, 2019/ Pre-application||Ferring Institute Pharmaceutical Research to Identify New Therapeutics||"to develop innovative drugs to address indications of high unmet medical need for patients in our core therapeutic areas [listed at Institute link]"|
|June 10, 2019 / Application||Vilek Foundation Creative Promise Prizes in Biomedical Science||"for young foreign-born biomedical scientists who demonstrate outstanding early achievement"|
|June 11, 2019 / Application||The Hartwell Foundation-Individual Biomedical Research Awards||"we provide financial support to stimulate discovery in early-stage biomedical research that has not qualified for funding from traditional sources"|
|June 13, 2019 Biosketch and Letter of Intent (LOI)||Internal Competition for NIH RFA-19-008||"for exceptional investigators who wish to pursue independent research after completion of terminal doctoral/research degree or end of post-graduate clinical training, thereby, forgoing the traditional post-doctoral training period and accelerating their entry into an independent research career."|
|June 14, 2019 / Application||North American Neuroendoctrine Tumor Society Clinical Investigator Scholarship||"to encourage clinicians at the end of fellowship who have secured a faculty appointment or at the beginning of a faculty appointment to pursue a clinical career focused on neuroendocrine tumors"|
|June 14, 2019 / Application||North American Neuroendoctrine Tumor Society Basic/Translational Science Investigator||"to encourage basic/translational scientists at the end of fellowship who have secured a faculty appointment or scientists beginninga faculty appointment to pursue research focused on neuroendocrine tumors."|
|June 14, 2019 / Application||Lung Cancer Research Foundation Pilot Grant Program||"provides funding for research focused on the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure of lung cancer"|
|June 15, 2019 / Application||American Surgical Association(ASAF) Fellowship Research Award||"to support and encourage gifted young surgeons who choose careers in investigation and academic surgery"|
|June 15, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||American College of Radiology (ACR) Innovation Fund||"to support untested, uncommon and distinctive ideas and activities that lead to groundbreaking efforts that align with and support the goals and objectives of the ACR Strategic Plan."|
|June 17, 2019/ Letter of Intent (LOI)||Alex's Lemonade Stand: Psycho-social Launch Grant||"for early career researchers within 7 years of receiving their terminal degree/completing formal training. Funding will support studies that aim to explain and/or improve psychosocial outcomes of those affected by childhood cancer."|
|June 17, 2019/ Letter of Intent (LOI)||Alex's Lemonade Stand: Psycho-social Family Impact Grant||"for established investigators. Funding will support studies that aim to explain and/or improve psychosocial outcomes of those affected by childhood cancer.|
|June 18, 2019/ Application||National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD)||"provides seed funding to qualified researchers for translational or clinical studies related to the development of potential new diagnostics or treatments for rare disease."|
|June 19, 2019/ Letter of Intent (LOI)||Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)Implementation of Effective Shared Decision Making Approaches in Practice Settings -- Cycle 2 2019||"to promote the targeted implementation and systematic uptake of shared decision making (SDM) in healthcare settings"|
|June 21, 2019 at 12 noon/ Pre-proposal||Sanofi Innovation Awards (iAwards) initiative||"to develop innovative and translational research proposals that could lead to development of effective and safer therapeutic solutions for patients in the areas such as oncology, immunology, rare diseases, neurology, diabetes, cardiovascular, and gene therapy." Request prepoposal template from privettet [at] email.chop.edu|
|June 24, 2019 / LOI||Pfizer Lung Research Foundation Competative Research Grant Program||
The Lung Cancer Research Foundation and Pfizer Global Medical Grants are collaborating to offer a new research grant opportunity focused on understanding ways to improve clinical practices for side effect management for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients receiving targeted therapies.
|June 24, 2019 / Application||American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Grant||The ASDS Cutting Edge Research Grant Program unites education and innovation to encourage and stimulate clinical research and the transfer of new technologies from the research setting to surgical practice.|
|June 27, 2019/ Application due||Alex's Lemonade Stand: RUNX1 Early Career Investigator Award||"to promote the establishment of a new generation of translational and clinical researchers interested in tackling inherited hematologic malignancy predisposition disorders with a focus on RUNX1-familial platelet disorder."|
|June 28, 2019 / Application||Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation: Myeloma Immune Translational Research Accelerator Program||"to explore clinically relevant questions on immune therapy and accelerate immune precision medicine for multiple myeloma patients."|
|June 28, 2019 / Application||Prevent Cancer Foundation Grant||For cancer prevention related research|
|June 30, 2019 / Application||Children's Leukemia Research Association(CLRA) Research Grant Program||"Any doctor in the United States at the PhD or MD level who is involved in research towards finding the causes and cure for leukemia may apply."|
|Due date/for||Sponsor with information||Purpose|
|July 1, 2019/Application (limited to one per institution)||American Diabetes Association Accelerator Award||"for exceptional, independent early-career researchers who have distinguished themselves as promising investigators and are in the beginning stages of establishing successful, sustainable diabetes research programs."|
|July 1, 2019 / Application (limited to one per institution)||American Diabetes Association Initiator Award||This two-phased award supports the transition of scientists from mentored training to independent research faculty.|
|July 1, 2019 / Application (limited to one per institution)||American Diabetes Association Visionary Award||for established, experienced investigators with strong records of outstanding productivity in fields outside of diabetes who are interested in applying their skills and expertise to diabetes research. These awards are highly competitive and intended to support particularly innovative and transformational ideas that have the potential to have an exceptional impact in diabetes.|
|July 1, 2019 / Application||Daymon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation Award||"for early career researchers who have an innovative new idea but lack sufficient preliminary data to obtain traditional funding. The research must be novel, exceptionally creative and, if successful, have the strong potential for high impact in the cancer field." Note: "Institutional nominations are not required, and there is no limit to the number of applications that can be received from a particular institution."|
|July 1, 2019/ Application||Histiocytosis Association||"for studies into the causes, mechanisms, and improved means of treatment for histiocytic disorders."|
|July 1, 2019/ Letter of Intent (LOI)||National Board of Medical Examiners Stemmler Fund||for "advancing research and development of innovative assessment methods in medical education or practice"|
|July 1, 2019 / Application||Paralyzed Veterans of America Research Grant||for projects "grounded in basic laboratory science and the education of scientists working on breakthroughs directed toward a cure for paralysis or the secondary medical conditions, and technologies associated with spinal cord injury or disease (SCI/D)"|
|July 1, 2019 / Application||Rheumatology Research Scientist Development Award||Encourage rheumatologists and rheumatology health professionals to pursue innovative research ideas|
|July 1, 2019 / Application||Rheumatology Research Foundation Investigator Award||Encourage junior investigators in the period between completing post-doctoral fellowship training; while being competitive for more significant funding and establishing themselves as independent investigators|
|July 1, 2019 / Application||Rheumatology Research Foundation Innovative Research Award||Encourage independent investigators to conduct novel studies that generate new insights into the cause, progression, treatment and outcomes of rheumatic diseases|
|July 1, 2019/Application||T-GAPP K12 program||funded by AHRQ and PCORI, "to support instructors and junior, clinical faculty who seek academic careers as independent investigators in Learning Health Systems/Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (LHS/PCOR) through training in the generation, adoption, and implementation of evidence that improves the quality and safety of health care". Questions to sabarile [at] pennmedicine.edu Applications due July 1, 2019.|
|July 2, 2019 / Letter of Intent(LOI)||Growing Gene and Cell Therapy(GGACT) Cooperative||"to support investigators to rapidly translate complex gene and cell therapies to early phase, investigator-initiated clinical trials."|
|July 3, 2019 / (Letter of Intent)LOI||Bright Focus - Macular Degeneration Research Grants||"for pioneering research leading to greater understanding, prevention, and treatment of age-related macular degeneration"|
|July 3, 2019 / Application||Rheumatology Research Foundation Scientist Development Award||"to provide support for a structured research training program for rheumatologists or health professionals in the field of rheumatology."|
July 9, 2019 / Application
|DoD Parkinson's Research Program Early Investigator Research Award||"for early-career investigators exploring innovative, high-impact ideas or new technologies applicable to Parkinson’s disease research and/or patient care. The PRP seeks applications from investigators working in a broad spectrum of disciplines including, but not limited to, basic science, engineering, bioinformatics, population science, translational research, and clinical research.|
|July 11, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||American Heart Association (AHA) Merit Award||for "highly promising investigators with stellar track records of accomplishment, demonstrated by federal or equivalent funding [NIH, AHRQ, HRSA, etc.] from multiple sources and excellent publication records with accelerating impact, who have the potential to move a field of science forward."|
|July 12, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation - Accelerating Drug Discovery for Frontotemporal Degeneration RFP||The Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation (ADDF) and The Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration (AFTD) seek to accelerate and support innovative small molecule and biologic (antibodies, oligonucleotides, peptides, gene therapy) drug discovery programs for FTD through this request for proposals (RFP).|
|July 12, 2019||St. Baldrick's Foundation -- Ewing Sarcoma program||"To explore novel concepts with the potential for high impact and quick movement to improvements in outcomes for patients with Ewing Sarcoma. Applications that are innovative, risk-taking, and use novel tools and methods will be prioritized."|
|July 15, 2019 / Application||American Diabetes Association Core Research Program Funding Opportunities||"for research with novel and innovative hypotheses in any area relevant to the etiology or pathophysiology of diabetes and its complications that hold significant promise for advancing the prevention, cure or treatment of diabetes. Basic, clinical, translational and epidemiological or health services research approaches are encouraged.|
|July 15, 2019 / Pre-Proposal||Burroughs Welcome Fund - Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease||The Investigators in the Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease (PATH) award provides $500,000 over five years to support accomplished investigators at the assistant professor level to study pathogenesis, with a focus on the interplay between human and microbial biology, shedding light on how human and microbial systems are affected by their encounters.|
|July 15, 2019 / Application||Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation Daymon Runyon-Dale F. Frey Award for Breakthrough Scientists Overview||"provides funding that enables them to complete their training under the mentorship of a leading senior scientist and encourages them to follow their own bold ideas"|
|July 15, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||Friedreich's Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA)||"The General Research Grant is open to qualified investigators proposing projects that fall within FARA Research Priorities as listed on FARA site."|
|July 15, 2019 / Application||Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMS) FoundationResearch Support Grant||"further the development of scientific investigators who are committed to problems related to oral and maxillofacial surgery"|
August 2019 Deadlines
|Due date/for||Sponsor with information||Purpose|
|August 1, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||American Founcation for Suicide Prevention Blue Sky Research Grant||Supports an innovative, impactful study in an area of suicide research that will achieve significant goals.|
|August 1, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||American Founcation for Suicide Prevention Short-Term Risk Grant||To develop identification and/or intervention strategies for short-term suicide risk that can be implemented in clinical settings.|
|August 1, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||American Founcation for Suicide Prevention Reaching 20% by 2015 Grant||Universal, selective or indicated interventions that target suicide prevention in healthcare systems, emergency departments, corrections settings, or among the gun owning community, that, if implemented on a large scale, would reduce the annual U.S. suicide rate.|
|August 1, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||A-T Children's Project Research Grant||"to develop innovative and compelling strategies for investigating a specific facet of ataxia-telangiectasia (A-T).|
|August 1, 2019 / Application||Essential Open Source Software for Science: Chan Zuckerberg initiative||"for software projects that are essential to biomedical research, have demonstrated impact, and can show potential for continued improvement."|
|August 1, 2019 / Application||International Myeloma Foundation Brian D. Novis Research Grant(Junior and Senior Grants Available)||The grants are awarded annually to promote research into all areas of myeloma in an effort to improve patient outcomes.|
|August 1, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Strategic Research Agreement||is "a partnership between Investigator(s) and JDRF Scientists to help address roadblocks and accelerate JDRF’s mission through support of cutting-edge scientific investigation of Type I Diabetes"|
|August 1, 2019/Application||Skin Biology and Diseases Pilot Grant||Priority given to basic and translational proposals that use a Center research core.|
|August 1, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||William T. Grant Foundation Grants on Reducing Inequality||The research grants programs support high-quality field-initiated studies that are relevant to policies and practices that affect the lives of young people ages 5 to 25 in the United States.|
|August 1, 2019 / Letter of Intent (LOI)||William T. Grant Foundation Grant on Improving the Use of Research Evidence||The research grants programs support high-quality field-initiated studies that are relevant to policies and practices that affect the lives of young people ages 5 to 25 in the United States.|
|August 2, 2019 / Application||Migraine Research Foundation Grant||to support research in "discovering the causes, improving the treatments, and finding a cure, and AMD stimulates increased research specifically in the area of migraine disorders.|
|August 6, 2019 / LOI||CDMRP Vision Research: Focused Translational Team Science Award; Investigator Initiated Research Award; Translational Research Award|
|August 8, 2019 / LOI||SFARI Autism Research Bridge to Independence Award||" While we encourage applications from postdoctoral fellows who are working on autism-related projects, we would like to stress that this award is also open to researchers who are not currently working on autism but who are interested in starting research projects in this area and who have expertise that could be brought to bear on this complex disorder. "|
|August 9, 2019 / LOI||Beckman Young Investigator Award in Life Sciences and Chemical Sciences||The Beckman Young Investigator (BYI) Program provides research support to the most promising young faculty members in the early stages of their academic careers in the chemical and life sciences, particularly to foster the invention of methods, instruments and materials that will open up new avenues of research in science.|
|August 9, 2019 / LOI||IBD Ventures Program - Support for Product_\-Oriented R&D Relevant to Inflammatory Bowel Diseases||The Crohn's & Colitis Foundation seeks to accelerate the development of products that aim to improve the quality of life of patients with inflammatory bowel diseases.|
|August 13, 2019 / Application||NSF Cogntive Neuroscience program||seeks "highly innovative proposals that employ brain-based measurements in order to advance our understanding of the neural systems that mediate cognitive processes"|
|August 15, 2019 / Application||American Hearing Research Application Bernard & Lottie Drazin Memorial Grants||seeks " otolaryngology residents to support research projects during their residency"|
|August 15, 2019 / Application||American Hearing Research Application Meniere's Disease Grant||AHRF occasionally awards grants specifically related to the study of Meniere’s disease|
|August 15, 2019 / Application||American Hearing Research Application Cases of Sudden Hearing Loss Grant||" Proposals from young investigators, established principal investigators and clinicians, scientists from other disciplines, and individuals with innovative new ideas for A-T research are encouraged, from academia as well as industry. "|
|August 15, 2019 / Application||American Hearing Research Application AHRF Regular Grant||"AHRF typically funds six to ten regular research grants that investigate various aspects of hearing and balance disorders related to the inner ear."|
|August 15, 2019 / Application||American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons(ASCRS) General Surgery Resident Research Initiation Grant||
To attract General Surgery Residents or recent graduates of such programs into the field of colon and rectal surgery by providing opportunities to engage in clinical or laboratory-based research focused on diseases of the colon, rectum and anus.
|August 15, 2019 / Application||American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons(ASCRS) International Fellowship Grant||To provide support to research programs that are focused on diseases of the colon, rectum and anus that will ultimately impact how we treat these patients.|
|August 15, 2019 / Application||American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons(ASCRS) Research in Robotic Surgical Technology||The Research in Robotic Surgical Technology Grant provides an investigator the opportunity to pursue research interest, specifically germane to robotic surgical technology in the field of colon and rectal surgery.|
|August 15, 2019 / Application||Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) Mentored Research Training Grants||to "help anesthesiologists develop the skills, preliminary data for subsequent grant applications and research publications needed to become independent investigators"|
|August 15, 2019 / Application||Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) Research in Education Grants||"advance the careers and knowledge of anesthesiologists interested in improving the concepts, methods and techniques of education in anesthesiology"|
|August 21, 2019 / Pre-Application||CDMRP Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Research: Idea Development Award||
The goal of the FY19 DMDRP is to preserve and imporve the function and quality of life and to extend the life span of all individuals with Duchenne.
|August 22, 2019 / Pre-Application||CDMRP Breast Cancer Research: Breakthrough Award Levels 1 and 2|
|August 26, 2019 / Abstracts||Foundation for Women's Cancer Various Grants(Ovarian Cancer, Endometrial Cancer, Cervical CancerInnivative Research and Technology)||There are a variety of grants offereed through this foundation. Please click the link for more information on specific grants.|
|August 30, 2019 / Application||National Eczema Association - Engagement Research Grant; catalyst Research grant; Eczema Champion Research Grant||NEA has been funding peer-reviewed research since 2004 as the largest private nonprofit source of eczema research support.|
|August 31, 2019 / Application||Gene Therapy for Hemophilia A or B - Pfizer Homophilia ASPIRE 2019||
Pfizer Global Medical Grants (GMG) supports the global healthcare community’s independent initiatives (e.g., research, quality improvement or education) to improve patient outcomes in areas of unmet medical need that are aligned with Pfizer’s medical and/or scientific strategies.
|August 31, 2019 / Application||Pardee Foundation||"encourages grant applications for a one year period which will allow establishment of capabilities of new cancer researchers, or new cancer approaches by established cancer researchers."|
|August 31, 2019 / LOI||Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Translational Research Program||The Translational Research Program (TRP) puts you on the bench-to-bedside fast track when it comes to finding better treatment and cures for leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma.|
|August 31, 2019 / LOI||Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Specialized Center of Research Program||Supports teams of researchers representing different disciplines and engaged in collaborative efforts to discover new approaches to treat patients with blood cancers.|
|August 31, 2019 / Application||Benign Essential Blepharospasm Research Foundation||" for improvement of existing treatments and for new treatments (such as medical marijuana and neuroplasticity training for blepharospasm) are welcome. "|
Additional 2019 due dates will be added as they become available. Note that 2018 due dates follow below and many due dates remain constant from year to year,
The E. Matilda Ziegler Foundation for the Blind Grant Opportunity for " basic scientists or clinician scientists of exceptional insight and ability, with strong potential for making significant contributions to understanding the root causes of and developing cures for blindness." Letter of intent (LOI) due August 1, 2018.
PSOM Limited Application - Rita Allen Foundation Scholars Program Note: The Perelman School of Medicine is permitted to submit only one application. This programs in also listed under "Limited Applications" on this site. The Internal (PSOM) application due August 2, 2018
No More Kids with Cancer Clinical/Translational Research Award "to support early stage clinical trials or other clinical research targeting toward pediatric cancer." Complete application due TBD
2019 dates will be added as they become available. Note that 2018 dates follow below, and many due dates remain constant from year to year.
OREF/ASES/Rockwood Clinical Research Grant in Shoulder Care " encourages new investigators to conduct research in the area of shoulder care." Application due September 3, 2018.
DoD Epilepsy Program Idea Development Award. Pre-application due September 5, 2018
DoD Kidney Cancer Research Idea Development Award. Pre-application due September 5, 2018
Fondation Leduc Transatlantic Networks of Excellence Program "participants must have expertise in cardiovascular, neurovascular disease, or a related ﬁeld," Letter of Intent (LOI) due September 5, 2018.
Lymphoma Research Foundation Clinical Investigator Career Development Award (2019-2022) " is designed to support physician investigators at the level of advanced fellow or junior faculty member who will contribute to the development of new lymphoma therapies and diagnostic tools." Applications due September 6, 2018.
Lymphoma Clinical Research Mentoring Program is " an education and mentoring program for fellows and junior faculty with a focus in clinical research in the field of non-Hodgkin and Hodgkin lymphoma." Applications due September 6, 2018.
American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) and Industry sponsored grants. Applications for grants in several research areas due September 7, 2018
Crohn's & Colitis Foundation Biology of Fibrosis in Inflammatory Bowel Diseases Application due September 7, 2018
Sanofi Innovation Awards Industry-academia partnership in multiple therapeutic areas including immune-oncology, molecular oncology, immunology and inflammation, rare diseases, neurosciences, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases as well as technology areas including gene therapy, single-cell analysis and biologics development. Pre-proposal to Thomas Privette at privettet [at] email.chop.edu due September 8, 2018
National Multiple Sclerosis Society Pilot Research Grants "for studies related to multiple sclerosis that may serve to advance our mission of stopping MS progression, restoring function and improving quality of life, and preventing MS" pre-application due September 10, 2018
Brianna Marie Memorial Research Grant "to improve health outcomes for pregnancies and infants affected by various fetal syndromes, with particular interest to fetal lung syndromes such as fetal hydrops" due September 14, 2018
American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) David Lehr Award is "intended to extend funding for preclinical or clinical research directed towards improving human health." Application due September 14, 2018.
McDonough B+ Foundation for Childhood Cancer Application due September 14, 2018
Simons Foundation Winter 2019 Pilot Award "intended to provide early support for exploratory ideas, particularly those with novel hypotheses for autism. " Applications due September 14, 2018.
Fats and Proteins Research Foundation proposals due September 15, 2018
Society for Thoracic Radiology seed grant for junior investigators Letter of intent (LOI) recommended before applying. Application due September 15, 2018.
Thoracic Surgery Foundation (TSF) various research grants, fellowships, and scholarships, all with due dates of September 15, 2018
Kenneth Rainin Foundation Synergy Award "The spirit of this award is to forge partnerships in the field of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)." due September 17, 2018
Foundation for Prader-Willi Research Program for "supporting research to advance the understanding and treatment of Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS)" Letter of Intent (LOI) due September 17, 2018
Department of Defense (DoD) Epilepsy Research Program Idea Development Award $300K-$500K Pre-application due September 20, 2018
American Epilepsy Society Seed Grant " provides support to established investigators to pursue new and innovative directions in epilepsy research, bring new research methods to their research programs, or begin new collaborations with other investigators in epilepsy or in different, complementary disciplines" Application due September 22, 2018.
Conquer Cancer Career Development Award " provides research funding to clinical investigators, who have received their initial faculty appointment, as they work to establish an independent clinical cancer research program." due September 25, 2018.
Conquer Cancer Global Oncology Young Investigator Award " provides research funding to early-career investigators to encourage and promote quality research in global oncology and to develop the next generation researchers to address global health needs" Application due September 25, 2018.
Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation Beckman-Argyros Vision Program Nominations due September 28, 2018
American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) NextGen Grants for Young investigators to promote and support creative, paradigm-shifting cancer research that may not be fundedt hrough conventional channels. It is expected that these grants will catalyze significant scientific discoveries and help talented young investigators gain scientific independence. Application due September 29, 2018. Contact BALDIJ [at] EMAIL.CHOP.EDU (Jennifer Baldi )if interested
Listed chronologically by due date. Additional grant opportunities will be added over the course of the month.
American Association of Neurology (AAN) grants:
- Career Development Award " for junior investigators interested in an academic career in clinical, basic, or translational neurological research." Applications due October 1, 2018
- Clinical Research Training Scholarship "aims to recognize the importance of good clinical research and to encourage young investigators in clinical studies." Applications due October 1, 2018
- Neuroscience Research Training Scholarship "aims to recognize the importance of, and encourage young investigators in, good laboratory or preclinical research." Applications due October 1, 2018
- Susan S. Spencer Clinical Research Training Scholarship in Epilepsy "supports clinical research training in the field of epilepsy." Applications due October 1, 2018.
- Clinical Research Training Scholarship in Headache "aims to recognize the importance of good clinical research adn to encourage young investigators in clinical studies in headache." Applications due October 1, 2018
Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF) Career Awards for Medical Scientists (CAMS) "is a highly competitive program that provides $700,000 awards over five years for physician-scientists, who are committed to an academic career in basic or translational research, to bridge advanced postdoctoral/fellowship training and the early years of faculty service." Application due October 1, 2018
Clinical Research Training Scholarship in Tourette Syndrome "aims to recognize the importance of good clinical research adn to encourage young investigators in clinical studies in Tourette Syndrome." Applications due October 1, 2018.
Colorectal Cancer Alliance Research Grant "to support researchers to conduct rectal cancer research that will enable them to establish a successful career path in this field" due October 1, 2018
National Ataxia Foundation Young Investigator (YI) Awards Letter of Intent (LOI) due October 1, 2018
Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Engagement Award to increase the" involvement of patients, caregivers, clinicians, and other healthcare stakeholders throughout the research process" Letter of intent (LOI) due October 1, 2018
Propionic Acidemia Foundation Request for Proposals "to help advance research devoted to find treatments and a cure for propionic acidemia" due October 1, 2018
The Sartorius & Science Prize for Regenerative Medicine & Cell Therapy Application due October 1, 2018
Whitehall Foundation "assists those dynamic areas of basic biological research that are not heavily supported by Federal Agencies or other foundations with specialized missions.... Currently, the foundation is insterested in studies that aim to better understand behavioral output or brain mechanisms of behavior." Letter of Intent due October 1, 2018 (Also Jan 15 and Apr 15 every year)
Rheumatology Foundation Bridge Funding for K and R applicants whose proposals were scored but not funded. Application due October 2, 2018
American Lung Association Lung Cancer Discovery Award "is for highly metorious research projects with the potential to significantly improve and transform diagnostic and therapeutic paradigms." Letter of Intent (LOI) due October 3, 2018.
The Jacob and Valeria Langeloth Foundation "The Foundation's purpose is to promote and support effective and creative programs, practices and policies related to healing from illness, accident, physical, social or emotional trauma, and to extend the availability of programs that promote healing to underserved populations." Project registration for consideration for invitation to apply due October 8, 2018
Gund-Herrington Foundation to "hasten the development of vision-restoring therapies." Letter of intent (LOI) due October 12, 2018
American Cancer Society (ACS) grants
- Research Scholar Award For faculty within first 6 years of appointment. Application due October 15, 2018
- Mentored Research Scholar Grant "provides support for mentored research and training to full-time junior faculty, typically within the initial 4 years of their first independent appointment." Application due October 15, 2018.
- Clinician Scientist Development Grant "fosters the development of clinicians to clinician scientists." Application due October 15, 2018.
- Pilot and Exploratory Projects in Palliative Care of Cancer Patients and Their Families " soliciting applications for pilot/exploratory research grants in palliative care for cancer patients and their families." Application due October 15, 2018.
Angelman Syndrome Foundation Research Program "to pilot projects to test new ideas about pathogenesis and therapeutics of Angelman syndrome, translational research and clinical research studies." Application due October 15, 2018 (also on April 15 every year).
University Research Foundation (Internal to Penn) Research and Conference Support; Impact Seminar Grants; and Research Opportunity Development GrantsApplications due October 19, 2018
SU2C Stand Up to Cancer Genentech-Supported Projects for immune therapy, biomarker-focused clinical trials involving solid tumors (alectinib, entrectinib, ipatasertib and atezolizumab) and hematologic malignancies (polatuzumab, venetoclax). Clinical trials can utilize Genentech molecules alone or in combination with other therapies. Application due October 22, 2018. If interested, contact Baldi, Jennifer L <BALDIJ [at] EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
American Heart Association (AHA)
- (AHA) Collaborative Science Award "To foster innovative collaborative approaches to research projects that propose novel pairings of investigators from at least two broadly disparate disciplines." Letter of Intent (LOI) due October 9, 2018
- (AHA) Career Development Award "To explore innovative questions or pilot studies that will provide preliminary data and training necessary to assure the applicant’s future success." Application due October 17, 2018
- (AHA) Established Investigator Award for basic, clinical, translational, population, bioengineering, and biotechnology "mid-career investigators with unusual promise and established records of accomplishments." Letter of Intent (LOI) due October 23, 2018
- (AHA) Innovative Project Award "To support highly innovative, high-impact research that could ultimately lead to critical discoveries or major advancements that will accelerate the field of cardiovascular or stroke research." Letter of Intent (LOI) due October 29, 2018
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF) NIH-Unfunded Award "to support excellent cystic fibrosis-related research projects that have been approved by the National Institutes of Health (or government funding agencies in other countries) but cannot be supported by available funds." Applications due October 31, 2018.
International Foundation for Research in Paraplegia Research Grant due October 31, 2018
The Pablove Foundation Seed Grants is intended for investigators who are "seeking answers and adding to the body of knowledge in pediatric cancer research." Applications due October 31, 2018.
Listed chronologically by due date. Additional opportunities will be added as the month approaches
Alex's Lemonade Stand Innovation Grant for research in childhood cancer. Letter of Intent (LOI) due November 1, 2018
American Society for Hematology (ASH) Bridge grant "for ASH members who applied for an NIH R01 grant or equivalent but were denied funding due to budget cutbacks." Application due November 1, 2018 (and again on May 1, 2019)
American Society for Transplantation (AST) Research Network Career Development Grants: 2019 Faculty Development Research Grant "for basic, translational, or cllinical research related to solid organ transplantation and/or immunology relating to solid organ transplantation." Application due November 1, 2018
ASCRS Limited Project Grant "to provide investigator the opportunity to pursue research interest, specifically germane to the field of colon and rectal surgery" due November 1, 2018
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) Strategic Research Agreement is "a partnership between Investigator(s) and JDRF Scientists to help address roadblocks and accelerate JDRF’s mission through support of cutting-edge scientific investigation of Type I Diabetes" Letter of intent (LOI) due November 1, 2018
Skin Cancer Foundation Research Grants "for support of pilot research projects related to skin cancer." Application due November 1, 2018
Brain Research Foundation Fay/Frank seed grant "providing start-up money for new and innovative research projects that have the potential to become competitive for an NIH grant or other external funding sources." LIMITED application. The University has been invited to submit one application. Questions can be directed to Connie Weinstein at clw [at] pennmedicine.upenn.edu or 215-898-0132. Internal application packet due due November 2, 2018
Janssen R&D and Johnson & Johnson First 1000 Days QuickFire Challenges "We're specifically interested in technologies that monitor, assess, and provide insights to improve a mother and baby’s unique risk profile" during the first 1,000 days of baby's life. Application due November 2, 2018
Crohn's & Colitis Foundation for grants below, letters of intent (LOI) due November 5, 2018
- Litwin IBD Pioneers Initiative
- Senior Research Awards
- Career Development Awards
- Research Fellowship Awards
- NASPGHAN Foundation/Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation Award
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Innovatation Awards. Letter of intent (LOI) due November 15, 2018
Gerber Foundation for "projects that improve the nutrition, care and development of infants and young children from the first year before birth to three years of age." Concept paper due November 15, 2018
Mallinckrodt Foundation Scholar Award Program limited application "to support early stage investigators engaged in basic biomedical research that has the potential to advance the understanding, diagnosis or treatment of disease." Applications are due by 9:00AM on Monday, November 19, 2018 and should be e-mailed to Connie Weinstein at clw [at] pennmedicine.upenn.edu.
Doris Duke Foundation Clinical Science Development Award Pre-proposal due November 28 If you are interested in submitting a proposal, please contact Ed Flood, Associate Director – Corporate and Foundation Relations at CHOP, at flooded [at] email.chop.edu.
Listed chronologically by due date. Additional funding opportunities will be added as the month approaches
Society for Pediatric Dermatology Pilot grants and team grants. Applications due December 2019
2018 dates follow below. Note that many grants roll around at the same time every year.
The American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy Research Funding "The AAOA Foundation is committed to supporting research—both basic and translational—aimed at improving patient care. Our funding is available to any investigator who wishes to advance knowledge within the field of otolaryngic allergy. Research goals should align with our scope of knowledge." due December 1, 2018
Transforming the Generation and Adoption of PCOR in Practice (T-GAPP) K12 program "to support junior faculty who seek careers as independent investigators in Learning Health Systems/Patient Centered Outcomes Research (LHS/PCOR) through training in the generation, adoption, and implementation of evidence that improves the quality and safety of health care. Application due December 1, 2018
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Pilot and Feasibility Award "to support basic science research studies focused on developing and testing new hypotheses in areas relevant to cystic fibrosis.: Application due December 3, 2018
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Research Grants (Fall Cycle) Application due December 3, 2018.
Penn Center for Aids Research (CFAR) Pilot Grant. Application due December 3, 2018
Damon Runyon Physician-Scientist Training Award "designed to recruit outstanding U.S. Specialty Board-eligible physicians into cancer research careers by providing them with the opportunity for a protected research training experience under the mentorship of a highly qualified and gifted mentor after they have completed all of their clinical training" due December 3, 2018
Penn Cardiovascular Institute (CVI) Dream Team Initiative "focused on well-defined areas of opportunity and unmet clinical needs in the broad areas of heart and vascular diseases." Application due December 4, 2018
NSF Smart and Connected Health (SCH): Connecting Data, People and Systems program "to accelerate the development and integration of innovative computer and information science and engineering approaches to support the transformation of health and medicine." Application due December 11, 2018
Penn Center for Digital Health Incubator Program "support for faculty and staff who are passionate about exploring how digital platforms, data, and tools can be leveraged to solve challenging problems in health care." .Application due December 11, 2018
NSF ADVANCE: Increasing the Participation and Advancement of Women in Academic Science and Engineering Careers (ADVANCE) Letter of intent (LOI) due December 12, 2018
APSF/FAER Grant "The Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation (APSF) and The Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) are now offering the joint APSF/FAER Mentored Research Training Grant (MRTG) to develop the next generation of perioperative patient safety scientists." due December 14, 2018
AGA Research Scholar Award "to a young investigator, instructor, research associate or equivalent working toward an independent career in gastroenterology, hepatology or related areas." due December 14, 2018
AGA-Takeda Pharmaceuticals Research Scholar Award in Inflammatory Bowel Disease given to " to a young investigator, instructor, research associate or equivalent working toward an independent career in inflammatory bowel disease research." due December 14, 2018.
American College of Radiology (ACR) Innovation Fund "to support untested, uncommon and distinctive ideas and activities that lead to groundbreaking efforts that align with and support the goals and objectives of the ACR Strategic Plan." Letter of Intent (LOI) due December 15, 2018 (and again on June 15, 2019)
Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) Program Discovery Research & Development Grants to "accelerate therapy development, for example, through new target identification and target validation." Application due December 15, 2018
Pardee Foundation "encourages grant applications for a one year period which will allow establishment of capabilities of new cancer researchers, or new cancer approaches by established cancer researchers." Application due December 31, 2018 (additional cycle deadlines: April 30 and August 31)