The Funding Forecaster listings below include internal (CHOP/Penn), federal, and foundation funding opportunities. These listings are also distributed to faculty monthly via email.
- The Blavatnik Family Foundation 2020 Young Scientists national competition recognizes the country’s most promising young faculty-rank scientists and engineers in the disciplinary categories of Life Sciences, Physical Sciences & Engineering, and Chemistry. CHOP has been invited to submit three nominees. Questions and nominations to denight [at] email.chop.edu (Robert DeNight), Assistant Director, Research Business Operations by Friday, September 27, 2019.
- CHOP Research Institute Bridge Funding Program, a semi-annual competitive process. Application to denight [at] email.chop.edu (Robert DeNight), Assistant Director, Research Business Operations by Friday, September 27, 2019.
CHOP Research Institute Pilot Grants:
- Fred and Suzanne Biesecker Pediatric Liver Center (FSBPLC) 2019 Pilot and Feasibility Grant Application to accelerate the pace of research and discovery in the pathogenesis and treatment of biliary atresia and other pediatric liver diseases. Application to erlichman [at] email.chop.edu (Jessi Erlichman )by Friday, September 27, 2019.
For further information about the two pilot grants below, contact brodeur [at] email.chop.edu (Garrett Brodeur, MD); Davidsonbl [at] email.chop.edu (Beverly Davidson, PhD); or eisenlohrl [at] email.chop.edu (Ike Eisenlohr, VMD, PhD):
- K-Readiness Pilot Grant for Senior Fellows and Instructors to provide salary support for staff who can assist with the fellows' or instructors' research objectives. Letter of Intent (LOI) and CV to denight [at] email.chop.edu (Robert DeNight), Assistant Director, Research Business Operations by Monday, September 30, 2019.
- Pilot Grant for Junior Faculty to give assistant professors on the Tenure or Clinician Educator tracks, within the first four years of appointment, additional mentoring and research opportunities. The mentoring PI is required to have a strong track record of mentoring trainees and/or junior faculty to independent research careers. Letter of Intent (LOI), along with NIH biosketches for the junior faculty PI and the established PI mentor, to denight [at] email.chop.edu (Robert DeNight), Assistant Director, Research Business Operations by Monday, September 30, 2019.
- CPCE and PolicyLab Pilot Grants For pilot studies focusing on Clinical Effectiveness OR Policy-oriented Health Services Research. Questions to burnsideh [at] email.chop.edu (Holly Burnside). Application due Tuesday, October 1, 2019.
Recurring pilot grants and recurring limited application grants, listed by month typically due:
- CHOP/Penn Pilot Grants (List of all recurring opportunities by month typically due)
- Limited Application Grants (Limited number accepted from invited institutions with month typically due)
(Mostly) FOUNDATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS, and PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES, posted by month application due HERE (Many new October, November, December 2019 opportunities!)
Federal funding announcements:
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Generally, letters of intent (LOIs) are due a month after release dates and applications are due two months after release dates.
- NIH Weekly Funding Announcements
- Recent NIH requests for applications (RFAs)
- Recent NIH parent announcements (PAs and PARs)
- Rolling Calendar of NIH Monthly Due Dates: Looking Ahead 12 Months
Department of Defense (DOD)
Funding search tools:
- All Federal Agencies (grants.gov)
- Customize your NIH search, and receive regular email alerts
- NIH Matchmaker can be used for keyword searches of a topic area to identify NIH Institutes or Centers (ICs) that have previously funded research in that area.
- NIH search by key word for "unsolicited or investigator-initiated" Parent Announcements
- NSF Funding Search
- Proposal central/foundation grant opportunities
The Perelman School of Medicine Academic Tracks
- Selecting and navigating the tracks (Dept of Peds site)
- Faculty experts describe the tracks (Perelman School of Medicine site)
- Timelines for reappointment and promotion reviews
- Criteria and benchmarks for promotion
- Documentation required for reappointment and promotion packages
Regardless of where they are posted, promotion standards for the 4 PSOM tracks are the same throughout CHOP and Penn Medicine.