Internal (CHOP/Penn), federal, and foundation funding opportunities are listed below. They are also distributed monthly to faculty via email.
Special opportunities on the immediate horizon:
For each of the following three internal competitions, CHOP/Penn will select either one or two applications to put forward:
- Mallinckrodt's Grant Program "for basic research faculty within 1st to 4th year of appointment." Preliminary application due to Phyllis Quail quail [at] email.chop.edu by May 31, 2012.
- Hartwell Foundation "to stimulate discovery in early-stage biomedical research that has not qualified for funding from traditional sources and that has the potential to benefit children of the United States." Application due to Penn Office of the Vice Provost vprgrant [at] upenn.edu by June 3, 2019
- NIH Director’s Early Independence Awards "for exceptional investigators who wish to pursue independent research after completion of their terminal doctoral/research degree or end of post-graduate clinical training, thereby, forgoing the traditional post-doctoral training period and acceleratingentry into an independent research career." Eligible applicants should email a one-page letter of intent (LOI) along with biographical sketch (NIH format) to Robert DeNight (denight [at] email.chop.edu ) by June 13, 2019
Eppendorf and Science Prize for Neurobiology "awarded annually to one young scientist for the most outstanding neurobiological research based on methods of molecular and cell biology, conducted during the past three years." Application due June 15, 2019
(Mostly) foundations, associations, and professional societies, posted by month application due HERE
Grants with recurring and rolling deadlines:
- Summary of Internal CHOP/Penn Pilot Grants (by month typically due)
- Summary of Limited Application Grants (Limited number accepted from invited institutions)
Federal funding announcements:
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Generally, letters of intent (LOIs) are due a month after release dates and applications are due two months after release dates.
- NIH Weekly Funding Announcements
- Recent NIH requests for applications (RFAs)
- Recent NIH parent announcements (PAs and PARs)
- NIH Rolling Calendar: Looking Ahead 12 Months
Department of Defense (DOD)
Funding search tools:
- All Federal Agencies (grants.gov)
- Customize your NIH search, and receive regular email alerts
- NIH Matchmaker can be used for keyword searches of a topic area to identify NIH Institutes or Centers (ICs) that have previously funded research in that area.
- NIH search by key word for "Unsolicited or investigator-initiated" Parent Announcements
- NSF Funding Search
The Perelman School of Medicine Academic Tracks
- Selecting and navigating the tracks (Dept of Peds site)
- Faculty experts describe the tracks (Perelman School of Medicine site)
- Timelines for reappointment and promotion reviews
- Criteria and benchmarks for promotion
- Documentation required for reappointment and promotion packages
Promotion standards for the 4 tracks are set by the PSOM, regardless of where they are posted and the format in which they are presented.