Internal (CHOP/Penn), federal, and foundation funding opportunities are listed below. They are also distributed monthly to faculty via email.
Special opportunities on the immediate horizon:
Eppendorf and Science Prize for Neurobiology "awarded annually to one young scientist for the most outstanding neurobiological research based on methods of molecular and cell biology, conducted during the past three years." Application due June 15, 2019
T-GAPP K12 program, funded by AHRQ and PCORI, for clinical faculty who seek careers as independent investigators in Learning Health Systems/Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (LHS/PCOR) through training in the generation, adoption, and implementation of evidence that improves the quality and safety of health care. Questions to sabarile [at] pennmedicine.edu Application due July 1, 2019
Eagles' Autism Challenge 2-year pilot grant for "all areas of basic, population, and clinical research and programs that are designed to elucidate the etiology, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of Autism Spectrum Disorders." Letter of Intent (LOI) due July 3, 2019
Searle Scholars Program for independent research in biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology, and related areas in chemistry, medicine, and the biological sciences. This is an internal (University-wide) competition with the goal of selecting two applicants. Letter from department chair or division chief is required. Questions: Connie Weinstein clw [at] pennmedicine.upenn.edu Application due by 9AM on July 8, 2019
(Mostly) foundations, associations, and professional societies, posted by month application due HERE
Grants with recurring and rolling deadlines:
- Summary of Internal CHOP/Penn Pilot Grants (by month typically due)
- Summary of Limited Application Grants (Limited number accepted from invited institutions)
Federal funding announcements:
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Generally, letters of intent (LOIs) are due a month after release dates and applications are due two months after release dates.
- NIH Weekly Funding Announcements
- Recent NIH requests for applications (RFAs)
- Recent NIH parent announcements (PAs and PARs)
- Rolling Calendar of NIH Monthly Due Dates: Looking Ahead 12 Months
Department of Defense (DOD)
Funding search tools:
- All Federal Agencies (grants.gov)
- Customize your NIH search, and receive regular email alerts
- NIH Matchmaker can be used for keyword searches of a topic area to identify NIH Institutes or Centers (ICs) that have previously funded research in that area.
- NIH search by key word for "Unsolicited or investigator-initiated" Parent Announcements
- NSF Funding Search
The Perelman School of Medicine Academic Tracks
- Selecting and navigating the tracks (Dept of Peds site)
- Faculty experts describe the tracks (Perelman School of Medicine site)
- Timelines for reappointment and promotion reviews
- Criteria and benchmarks for promotion
- Documentation required for reappointment and promotion packages
Promotion standards for the 4 tracks are always set by the PSOM, regardless of where they are posted.