The Funding Forecaster listings below are updated regularly and include internal (CHOP/Penn), federal, and foundation funding opportunities.
COVID-19 RELATED FUNDING
NIH COVID-19 Funding
- NIH COVID-19 related information for funding applicants and recipients (Updated weekly by NIH).
- The page above includes a newly added comprehensive table with active and expired NIH COVID-19-specific funding opportunities.
- NIH COVID-related funding opportunities released over the past week appear HERE
ADDITIONAL COVID-19 Funding and Support
- COVID-19 related funding opportunities updated daily by InfoGlobal. Various due dates
- Merck Research Grant for Pandemic Preparedness Several grants. Some due as early as August 31, 2020. Others with rolling deadlines.
- XPRIZE Rapid COVID-19 Test Competition (multiple corporate sponsors) "6-month competition to develop faster, cheaper, and easier to use COVID-19 testing methods at scale." Teams must register to compete no later than August 31, 2020
FEDERAL FUNDING ANNOUNCEMENTS:
National Institutes of Health (NIH) (See above for NIH funding relating to COVID-19)
New Mechanisms of Note:
- NIH Director’s New Innovator Award Program supports early stage investigators of exceptional creativity who propose highly innovative research projects with the potential to produce a major impact on broad, important areas relevant to the mission of NIH. Application due Friday, August 21, 2020
- NIH Director’s Pioneer Award Program supports individual scientists of exceptional creativity who propose highly innovative research projects with the potential to produce a major impact on broad, important areas relevant to the mission of NIH. Application due Friday, September 11, 2020
- "To allow potential applicants sufficient time to develop meaningful plans for robust applications," the NIH is providing advance notice of their intent to publish two opportunities (below) for funding under the FIRST program . "The overall objective of the Faculty Institutional Recruitment for Sustainable Transformation (FIRST) program is to create cultures of inclusive excellence at NIH-funded institutions by implementing a set of well-integrated, evidence-based strategies and evaluating their impact on prespecified metrics of institutional culture, inclusion, and diversity." Estimated due date Monday, November 9, 2020
Notice of Intent to Publish a Funding Opportunity Announcement for NIH Faculty Institutional Recruitment for Sustainable Transformation (FIRST) Program: FIRST Coordination and Evaluation Center (U54 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
Additional NIH announcements:
- NIH Weekly Funding Notices and Announcements by release date Generally, NIH letters of intent (LOIs) are due a month after release dates and applications are due two months after release dates.
- NIH requests for applications (RFAs) in reverse chronology by release date
- NIH parent announcements (PAs and PARs) in reverse chronology by release date
National Science Foundation (NSF)
- (NSF) Cogntive Neuroscience program "Seeks highly innovative proposals that employ brain-based measurements in order to advance our understanding of the neural systems that mediate cognitive processes." Application due Thursday August 13, 2020
- The Division of Mathematical Sciences (DMS) in the Directorate for Mathematical and Physical Sciences (MPS) at the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Research at the Interface of Biological Sciences and Mathematics, Statistics "To support fundamental research in mathematics and statistics necessary to answer questions in the biological and biomedical sciences. Both agencies recognize the need to promote research at the interface between mathematical and life sciences. This program is designed to encourage new collaborations, as well as to support innovative activities by existing teams." Applications accepted between September 1, 2020 and September 18, 2020
- NSF Ecology and Evolution of Infectious Diseases "The intent is discovery of principles of infectious disease transmission and testing mathematical or computational models that elucidate infectious disease systems.." Application due November 18, 2020
Department of Defense (DOD) Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
- DOD -- CDMRP Kidney Cancer Program: Several grant mechanisms, some with due dates as early as Wednesday, August 5, 2020
- DoD-CDMRP Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Research: Idea Development Award Preapplication due Wednesday, August 12, 2020
- DOD Lupus Research Program Preapplication due Tuesday, August 25, 2020
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
- PCORI Phased Large Awards for Comparative Effectiveness Research Due date for Letter of Intent (LOI) extended to September 29, 2020
UPCOMING FOUNDATION GRANT DEADLINES
- Stand Up To Cancer Health Equity Breakthrough Team Research Grant Letter of Intent (LOI) due September 1, 2020
- Penn's Transforming the Generation and Adoption of PCOR in Practice (T-GAPP) K12 program, "To support junior faculty who seek academic careers as independent investigators in Learning Health Systems (LHS)/ Patient Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR) through training in the generation, adoption, and implementation of evidence that improves the quality and safety of health care. Contact: Sandra Barile, sabarile [at] pennmedicine.upenn.edu. Application due September 8, 2020
- Lupus Research Global Team Science Award "For established investigators across scientific disciplines and geographies to make major advances in understanding the heterogeneity of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) using highly collaborative, synergistic, innovative, and ambitious approaches." Letter of Intent (LOI) due September 15, 2020
Additional Foundation Due Dates
- NEW DUE DATES ADDED FOR AUGUST and SEPTEMBER! Upcoming due dates for foundation funding applications (RFAs) HERE
- Foundation funding opportunities for the entire year, by month typically due HERE
- List of foundation grants previously awarded to CHOP PIs HERE (Successful colleagues on this list may be able to provide you with insight on a particular foundation.)
CYLICAL PILOT AND LIMITED APPLICATION GRANTS:
- CHOP/Penn Pilot Grants (List of all recurring opportunities, with month typically due)
- Limited Application Grants (Limited number accepted from invited institutions, with month typically due)
FUNDING SEARCH TOOLS:
- All Federal Agencies (grants.gov)
- Customize your search and receive individual email alerts from the NIH, and from several foundations
- NIH Matchmaker can be used for keyword searches of a topic area to identify NIH Institutes or Centers (ICs) that have previously funded research in that area.
- NIH search by key word for "unsolicited or investigator-initiated" Parent Announcements
- NSF Funding Search
- Proposal central/foundation grant opportunities
The Perelman School of Medicine Academic Tracks
- Selecting and navigating the tracks (Dept of Peds site)
- Faculty experts describe the tracks (Perelman School of Medicine site)
- Timelines for reappointment and promotion reviews
- Criteria and benchmarks for promotion
- Documentation required for reappointment and promotion packages
Regardless of where they are posted, promotion standards for the 4 PSOM tracks are the same throughout CHOP and Penn Medicine.